Honey Mustard Chicken Salad

It was really hot here the other day.  And in our little apartment which has no air circulation it meant that it was hot all night long.  So when it came time for dinner it needed to be quick and cool.

Here's what I came up with.

I made an impromptu honey mustard dressing with 1 Tbs mustard (Dijon is great but we only had plain old yellow on hand) 1Tbs rice wine vinegar, 1Tbs honey, 1Tbs olive oil and a bunch of seasonings.  Basil, oregano, thyme and pepper.

If you have any of these available fresh it will make this a completely different experience.  But Part of the appeal of this meal was avoiding the store.

Next I chopped up some onions and some garlic, then added it to my dressing and put it in the fridge until I was ready.

I shredded up a can of chicken.  That's right.  A CAN.  I'm not ashamed.  It was hot and we were tired.

Then I thawed some peas, and chopped up about half a cucumber.  If we'd had any celery it would have been great, but the cucumber added a nice sweetness along with a crunch.

Then I dumped everything in the bowl, (technical I know)  along with some Parmesan and some pre-cooked bacon.  I wouldn't want this to be too healthy.

Pour on you dressing and mix it all up.   It's great if you can stick it in the fridge for a bit but we were happy eating it right away.

 I decided this needed a little creaminess to offset the tang of the mustard, so I spread a thin layer of cream cheese on each slice of bread before filling with the salad.

Ta da!  That's it!

This was really tasty and we paired with some berry smoothies to make the ideal cool evening meal.

Miyagi also requested that I point out my own ingenuity in unintentionally balancing the sandwich on a single pea.  Presentation is half the battle!

0 comments:

Site Meter