Raspberry Ice Cream

I made raspberry ice cream based on this recipe yesterday, and I have thought of nothing else for the last 24 hours.  It literally took all my self-restraint to not eat the entire batch right out of the ice cream maker! 

The recipe calls for blackberries but my parents had an abundance of raspberries.  So raspberry it was!

Take 4 cups of fresh (or thawed) raspberries and wash them thoroughly.  Although, we're going to squish them through a strainer later so I'm sure that will catch any small bugs crawling around . . .

In a medium sauce pan put the raspberries over low-med heat and add 1/4 c of sugar and the juice of half a lemon.  Stir them around a little and let them cook with the lid on for about 20 minutes. 

Until they look like this!  The smell is incredible.  Right from the start you'll know that you're doing the right thing by making this ice cream.  Which is good, because you may need that confidence in the steps to come.

Push all the juice and pulp through a fine mesh strainer leaving behind all the seeds and larger chunks (and any bugs, I mean, lemon seeds you might have dropped in earlier)  This step alone probably took me about 10 minutes.  I found it best to push the pulp around, then lift the strainer and scrape along the bottom with my spoon to loosen all the thick syrup that was caught.  Trust me, it's worth the effort. 

Now set that aside, and then heat 1 1/2 cups of half and half, and a cup of sugar.  This only needs to be heated through so it shouldn't take long.

While that's heating separate 5 egg yolks into a bowl and whip them up until they are light yellow, and a little fluffy.  I was less than dexterous at separating my eggs which is why you see three egg yolks, and some egg yolk pudding in the bowl here.  But since they're all getting whipped up it doesn't really matter right?  Right?

Once the half and half mixture is warm, temper in the eggs by drizzling about a cup of half and half to the eggs while whisking constantly.  As you can tell this takes both hands leaving no hands to take pictures.  You'll just have to trust me that I did this. 

Once the eggs have been warmed up a little drizzle the eggs back into the pan while whisking. 

Keep this over low-med heat and keep stirring until it starts to get thick  I nearly panicked because mine wasn't getting thick at all, but then it seemed to happen all at once.  When it's thick enough to coat a spoon and leave a mark when you run your finger through it, it's ready.  (Relax!  The hard part is mostly done!)

Suddenly realize that your strainer is still full of raspberry pulp and scramble to clean it before your custard solidifies.  (Congratulate yourself!  The hard part is now all the way done!)

After your strainer is clean, pour 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream in a bowl, place the strainer on top, and strain your custard directly into the bowl.

Give it a stir until it's all combined and get ready for the fun part. 

Ready?

You don't look ready!

Pour in the raspberry syrup and sigh a contented sigh because now you remember that you're creating something wonderful.

See the pink?  See the wonderful?  See the reflection from the flash on my camera because my kitchen gets 0% natural light?

Cover this and put it in the fridge until it's chilled (about 2 hours)

Or put this bowl inside a bigger bowl filled with ice and stir it until it's chilled (about 10 minutes) 

Smile pleasantly at your new ice cream maker for a moment and think of what you went through to get it. 

Then put it to work.  It should have it's own instructions.  You don't need mine.  Do you?  Yeah, I didn't think so.

When the ice cream maker is done, open it and squeal in delight at your creation!  (this is a necessary step.  Don't ask me why, but the ice cream tastes better when it has your approval.)

Pull out the paddle and scrape the ice cream back into the bin, smooth it out, and cover it tightly.

While you're doing this glance over your shoulder to see Miyagi approving heartily of your creation.

Just looking at this picture makes me break out in a sweat.  I think I'm addicted.

There's still some left.  For now.

And check out the cute ice cream dishes my sweet little niece bought for us!  This is just another one of those things that mysteriously makes the ice cream taste even better.

0 comments:

Site Meter